Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Barn

   Tonight after dark I walked out to the barn by myself.  A bite to the air during my walk, our faithful dog Buddy walked as close as possible.  The stars were out...a clear cold night, but they were so beautiful!  I got to the barn and opened the door.  It smelled of hay and animal feed.  The barn cats cuddled in the hay, trying to stay warm.  A light from the chicken coop shown dimly into one stall leaving a glow radiating warmth.  Everything sat still, and all was tucked in: ready for a chilly night.   Lead ropes latched into bailing twine hung from the hay stack: evidence of my hay climbing kids.  Hoses hang from rafters draining, and the wind whistles a bit outside.
  I initially came to throw my chickens some food but sat instead for a little time to think.  The barn was quiet except for occasional critter noises.  Buddy lay down at my feet (probably wondering what I was doing). 
  I wish I could bottle feelings to taste later.  The "in the barn during winter" bottle would be pretty cool.  Seeing your breath while choring, crisp air, the sense of accomplishment and working with your hands are things everyone should experience.   And in all honesty the "warming up by the wood stove" when chores are complete totally "makes" it.  God's natural anti-depressant.
  But with the Thanksgiving season here, I want to say I am thankful for barns.  Barns slow life down, they give you a reason to be outside.  Barns give purpose, provide a place of meeting, a place for memories: good smells, and hard work.  In the winter they protect and smell so good.  The spring they shelter from the rain.  The summer they're shade and a place for kids to play.  In the fall they store. 
  So my evening trip to the barn was nice.  I admit, I stayed out a little longer than intended.  I was thrust back into reality when I remembered supper boiling on the stove.  I slowly walked back to the house, put supper on and fed some hungry kids. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...