Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Harvest Night

 It's late, and again, I am awake.  My thoughts always come together at night...in the quiet.  I lay in bed near the open window....taking everything in.  Things that will soon be gone, replaced by the slumber of the ground, a chill in the wind and preparation for winter.  I love this time of year.  Crisp mornings, sun that shines to a cooler mid-day and harvest nights.
 A cool breeze blows through the window, gently blowing the curtains.  The rhythmic sound of crickets followed by the occasional night bird.  Stars: bright and clear, shine in all their glory.  The moon, shrouded in a small cloud sits just upon the horizon.  An orange hue, fitting for the pumpkins it will soon watch over. Mint in my drier fills the house with a sweet scent.  My children  sleep, awaiting another autumn-like day.  Harvest is definitely here.
  There is a peace that comes with this time of year.  God's blessings unfolding.   The fruit of summer's labor.  Color's become sharper.  Scents fill the air.  Life slows down...just a bit.  There is peace. 
  I resist closing my eyes...tomorrow will come soon.  But, the crickets and the breeze hold me captive.   Thank you God, for little blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...