Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Friday, September 2, 2011

A Slow Down Kinda Day

It's late, and again the house is quiet.  Quiet after a cool family day together.  This summer has seemed to have come and gone.  Recently, Tim and I decided to do more things as a family.  Just us.  It's easy to let chaos creep in, and take over.  Before you know it, a year's past by, your kids are a year older and you can't account for anything you've done.  Busyness: the only thing accomplished.
  After completing school with the kids this morning, we all jumped in the truck.....picnic basket included.  The kids have been saving some money, so they brought that as well (in hopes of hitting a good yard sale).  We sailed out of town and headed for the mountains....and yes, found an estate sale on the way (Yay, for canning jars at estate sales!)  I proudly loaded my canning jars, the kids their purchases and away we drove. 
  Midvale....a quiet little town.  We stopped at the park and unloaded our picnic basket....  A perfect day for a picnic.  The perfect weather (fall weather), a picnic table and a quiet place for the kids to play.  I loved it.... I so needed it...time away and a chance to refuel.  Time for Tim and I to actually chat.....without the cell phone ringing! 
  After lunch, the kids begged to be pushed on the swings.  Somehow, I managed to hit heads with  a munchkin of mine and bite partially through my lip.. painful!  Painful and slightly disfiguring.  But the cute little Midvale store (complete with 100 year old hard wood floors), carried ice.  I hid my tears, applied ice, and marched on.  This is would not ruin my day!
  Our picnic was followed by a visit with friends in a local town, and a drive through the mountains.  There is something so therapeutic about the mountains.  Something so wonderful and fulfilling.  We stopped and let the kids out....tested out the elk bugle (it's bow season now) and enjoyed the mountain sunshine. 
  I am so glad for days like this: "Family days".   This day marched on just as fast as the others, but this one was different: memories.  I am starting to realize I equate the Valley with stress.  Stress, related to busyness that I, myself, create.  Getting out of it with my family was exactly what I needed today.  Getting out, and making memories with my family.  I am thanking God for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...