Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Monday, May 23, 2011

Don't Be Afraid

"Don't be afraid, God is with you!"  How many times I've heard people say this.  "You have no reason to fear".  I'll be honest, there are times God's enabled me to grasp this concept.  There are also times I forget to ask God for help...consequently forgetting this promise.  My life is like hopscotch.......I sometimes jump from square to square.  Believing......forgetting to.......walking in the spirit......forgetting God and walking in the flesh.  I wish I could be more consistent.  There are too many "I's" in my life and not enough "God".  But so goes my life on earth.  It won't be ME that gets ME anywhere, but GOD. 
  This morning while I was reading I found something cool.  It is pertaining to fear and being alone.  I am not feeling alone today, but this passage was still cool!
  We are never alone...though we may not "see" God with our human eyes we're never alone.  2 Kings 6: 8-23, Elisha and his servant are hiding from and being surrounded by the Aramean army.  This army was sent to find them and bring them to the Aramean king...most likely to be killed.  The Aramean king was angry Elisha was able to (through Christ) foretell the Aramean army location. Elisha would then inform the Israelite king...thus saving Israel from hardships, war and destruction.
  At the time Elisha and his servant were surrounded, his servant (in distress) asked Elisha (vs. 16&17) "Oh, my lord, what shall we do?"  "Don't be afraid," the prophet [Elisha] answered.  "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."  And Elisha prayed, "O Lord, open his eyes so he may see."  Then the Lord opened the servant's eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.  The miraculous event of their escape then follows. 
  I read that and thought, wow!  How many times have I felt a little (or a lot) scared?  Have I questioned God's presence?  The Lord has made His presence known in my life, but I still play hopscotch with the flesh.  How many times when (if I had "eyes" to see) would I have seen horses and chariots of protection around me?  I know they've been there.  God promised to never leave me.  Why should I think He's not there?
  It was cool to think about.  I am not alone...nor have I ever been.  Feelings.....feelings are ever changing "flesh" judgements based off ever changing circumstances.  God is above flesh though and doesn't change.  He is a promise.  He is knowledge.  He is a rock that doesn't move.  Feelings can't erase a promise, or move a rock.  He says He is with me....therefore HE IS.
  It was just a cool reminder this morning.  Not that I am being chased by an Aramean army...my life is pretty benign in comparison.  But...it's still cool... Thank you God!

"....I will never leave you nor forsake you."  Joshua 1:5

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...