Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day

We spent the day at Black Canyon Dam with Tim's family.  It rained a bit but the sun eventually came out.  The water above the dam is very high and the park being below, made me question our safety a little.  It proved a fun day however, and the dam stayed put. :)
After a family picnic, I went with my sister-in-laws to place flowers on Grandpa "Fingers" grave.  He is Tim's grandfather and is buried in a quaint, peaceful cemetery.  The cemetery, in a little area called Sweet is over a hundred years old. It's a ways off the beaten path.  The birds sing there and you can actually hear them.  There are no vehicle noises and the farm fields surrounding it are green and beautiful.  A peaceful place to rest.
  My youngest came with us.  We toured the cemetery hand in hand.  Being three, she needed reminding not to take grave decorations off head stones.  She spent time in fascination over pin-wheels, flags and flowers.  Cemeteries don't have the same meaning to her.
  After visiting grandpa's grave we decided to walk around a little.  Cemeteries have always fascinated me.  I guess its because every grave tells a story.  Mothers are there.  Fathers are there.  Children....grandparents...aunts and uncles.  There are no headstones exempt from a story.  Its easy to piece together some stories...  We ran across a family today that all passed on the same day.  A mother, father and a baby.  Sad...but to "go" as a family would be a blessing.  There were no good byes for them.  That would be an awesome way to go.
  Walking through that cemetery I felt emotions.  The emotions of the past 100 years.  The people coming and going.  The lives changing.  Some sadness and even some joy.  Loved ones being reunited under the vale of heaven. 
  Life changes.  Its ever changing.  Time does not slow down.  I am so thankful for the time I've been given.  As I held my baby's hand today a new appreciation welled up within me.  Thank you God.  Thank you for my family.  Thank you for my babies, for my husband.  I have a story.  I pray my story glorifies you God.  My time is short...I pray I make the most of it.
 So, today was a good day.  One with family and one of reflection.
And....my kids all fell asleep quickly tonight too...after a fun day spent with cousins.
Today will go down in the memory books.  Thank you Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...