Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blueberries & Alkali Soil


Thanks to an infomercial our family has been thrust into the world of blueberries.  Though the picture above is not of ours.
  We are now the proud owners of 17 blueberry bushes (initially ordering 3, the order has gotten confused twice).  That's okay with me though....each time they goof we've seemed to benefit.  :)
With this influx of bushes, I needed to do research....make these little buggers thrive!  I have never raised domesticated blueberries before.
  Blueberries do not naturally thrive here in our valley.    Our soil pH is typically around 7.5 (alkali soil).  Blueberry bushes require acidic soil maintaining a pH of 4.0-5.0.  So...growing blueberries successfully in our valley requires dropping soil pH.  After conferring with gardeners and websites it seemed sulfur was the best way to do this.  Blueberries as well as blue hydrangeas grow very well in the presence of sulfur. 
  I was blessed and found sulfur at Home Depot....relatively inexpensive.   So I purchased it.
 As only five of our plants have actually arrived, I planted them in planters...I just happened to have five empty ones.  Planter soil is easier to control also.  Once the others arrive, I will put them in the ground.  We will see how this goes.  I am excited!!!
 It will be a couple years before we reap the benefits.  I guess its blueberries or bust!  Either way its fun learning new things. 
 There are six little eager hands waiting to grasp the first juicy berry. 

1 comment:

  1. I will send a trunk load of dirt home with you when you come. It is guaranteed to grow beautiful blue berries (and a few dandelions too). See you Friday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...