Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Friday, July 29, 2011

Ordering Water

It doesn't rain here often.  Living where we do, we must order our irrigation water from the local irrigation company.    We order the amount we need and specify the duration over which we need it.  We have a small irrigation "creek" running a portion of our property where water is funneled from a larger ditch.  This is the way we "water" our pastures and gardens.
  Recently, upon visiting my parents (living across the state) my son was astounded at their standing water.  My parents get much more rain than do we and also live near a river.  They have little need to irrigate as we do.  Upon seeing all the water in puddles, in a pond and the river, my son just stared.  "Grandpa", my son asks my dad.  "How did you order all this water?"  "What do you mean?", my dad asks.  "Well, how did you order all this water, grandpa?"  Still not understanding the question, grandpa again asked Hap to clarify.  "I am not sure what you mean, Hap."  To this Hap replies, "whenever we want water, grandpa, my dad's gotta order it!"  "And this is a lot!"    Grandpa smiled.
  It occurred to me just how small my son's little world is.  And.......how dry our area is.  My sweet boy knows where milk and eggs come from, but is certain water comes from the irrigation company.   This year I plan on reviewing "rain" in our science curriculum..... Bless his heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...