Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Saturday, August 20, 2011

10 Reasons to Home School

  School is right around the corner.  We are on the starting blocks.  Marks.....Set.......Go!
  It's time to shop for school supplies, get things in order and prepare.  This year, I think I am ready...and even a little excited.  The yellow bus doesn't stop at our house (even though the kids sometimes wish it did), we school at home.  We school at the table....outside....in the garden....in the car....while camping....while on trips....we have yet to find a place we can't school.  And...I love it.
  I will be honest, I didn't intend to home school.  My initial dream included educating my kids at a little Christian school....NOT home schooling.  Ugh!  I didn't think I could teach!  How could I home school?  And....I really looked forward to having time off...to myself....private school would allow for that!
  Well, God had other plans for us.  Plans that included a recession....decreased income... no private school....and ultimately home schooling.  At first, I fought it.  I didn't want to home school.  I didn't feel I possessed the talent, the patience or the know-how.  I knew public school wasn't a "fit" for us, but didn't feel home schooling was either.  What to do? Hum.....we decided to pray (always a good thing to do).
  And...it's funny.....God always answers prayer.  He may not answer it the way you want (sometimes He does), but He always answers it.  His answer to my specific prayer: He changed my heart.  He gave me a passion for home schooling my kids.  He gave me a passion to spend more time with them.  He gave me eyes to see the situation differently: what schooling at home would do for our family.
  I found myself becoming passionate about teaching, curriculum and the process of educating my children.  I still enjoyed time to myself, but became more excited about passing knowledge onto my kids....watching their faces as they learn something fascinating (and even ask to hear more).  I became more excited about introducing them to God's creations.... And ultimately learning along with them.
  Well, I have created a list: 10 Reasons to Home School.  These are 10 things I love about the process of Home Schooling:
1.  You get to KNOW your kids on a whole new level.
2.  You get to control the education they get....when, where, how, what, and WHY!
3.  You teach, therefore YOU learn along with them.
4.  You can travel without consequence...and the kids learn along the way.
5.  You can teach while living everyday life.  A good place to teach life science: the garden.
6.  You can successfully complete a day's worth of curriculum into 3 hours.  Why subject them to 8 hours of school they can complete in 3?
7.  You can assure your child gets one on one attention (from a person that loves them).
8.  You will add structure to your life.
9.  You will witness the fascination of learning new things first hand....and you can foster it. 
10. You get to facilitate field trips!
  These are just 10 reasons why I love home schooling, there are more.  I admit, it's not always easy and it's not for everyone.  We've had our hard times too.  But, it's so very worth it!  Kids grow up so fast....why not spend more time with them?  God will hand out what you need, if you ask.  He has patience to give, wisdom to deliver, and love to transcend the most chaotic home.  You have all you need at your fingertips.  You won't regret it.   There is some awesome curriculum available as well (many have gone before), so you need not create your own path.
  Just some thoughts........

2 comments:

  1. I can not even begin to tell you of the blessings that have come to our family through the adventure and calling of homeschooling. Your reasons are all true! You forgot to mention all of the great books you will get to enjoy together...my personal favorite memory! Stay true to the call...remember it when it gets really tough...then the choice isn't should we? but HOW do we? The Lord is faithful to answer and provide...have fun, these years do go so fast! You are building a lifetime of memories :)
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rene! I am very much looking forward to reading together. We read Charlotte's Web last year. I was surprised how much the kids loved it. Thank you for your words of wisdom...they are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...