Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Scared of the Dark

  My husband was gone last week with church camps.  Our neighbors decided to leave for a week long camping trip also.   Leaving me.....the lone "grown up".... on... the hill.   I don't mind being alone...the kids become well versed in Jane Austen, and I manage to finish projects: this time planning my home school curriculum.  I admit even enjoying a little time to myself.  I am independent, though life without my husband would be terrible. He's not afraid of the dark....and I am. I especially fear the dark when by myself.
  We are country people and live out of town.  We have one close neighbor (whom we love)....and the rest, well, fields and coyotes.  During the day this is not a problem....BUT at night... I am a wimp!
  Saturday night, Tim's last night away, I left a sprinkler going (needing off).  The faucet to this hose is past our yard fence....hidden behind a pump house.  During the day I don't mind going back there.  After dark, this little jaunt intimidates me.  It's past the "safety zone" of my yard and out into the "unknown".
  Upon remembering "the hose" that evening, my blood pressure elevated.  It was dark outside....and the sprinkler was still going.  That meant turning off the hose.......in the dark.....while I was totally ALONE.  Fear prickled my wimpy self.  Ugh.
  I waited until the kids fell asleep...all was quiet in the house....I was stalling.   I then opened the front door in anticipation of my jaunt.  I expected to be met with pitch black void.  A void of light, people, noise (except the sprinkler) and anything comforting. I stopped a minute to pray, "Lord, please be protect me" (there is no one here to hear me scream...(slight drama)).  I was a little nervous just the same. What met me though was totally unlike what I prepared for.  I opened the door and stood in awe.
  A full moon.  A completely moon lit yard.....A completely moon lit pathway all the way out the gate and to the faucet.  A warm breeze gently blowing.....and voices.  VOICES....I thought I was alone on the hill!  Well, I wasn't.  We have neighbors a ways down the road.....but their property adjoins to ours.  This night, their teens decided to have a bonfire near our property boundary.  They are good kids.  I couldn't see them, but I could hear them talking and laughing.  I could smell the bonfire smoke.
  All of the sudden....I realized God was showing me I wasn't alone.  It might be 11:00pm....it may be night...but I was not alone.  And not only was there a bonfire just the other side of our property, but God made His presence apparent as well.  The moonlight shown down into our pasture....almost day-like.  The cows munched on the grass.  Crickets sang....frogs croaked.  The warm breeze picked up and blew across my cheek.  I listened to the quiet laughter of teens at the bonfire.....and felt God's presence.  He was with me....and made effort to show me.  I suddenly felt an over-whelming desire to pray.  I unloaded on Him....told Him many things He already knew.  Praising Him: for the moonlight outside on that warm summer evening.  Praising Him for His presence...for the contented feeling that came over me.  Praising Him that I am NEVER alone.
   And as if on cue, a star fell from the sky over the top my head.  Woe! Not joking.  Confirmation.  I couldn't help but tear up.  I am surrounded by the only ONE I will ever need, and I will never be ALONE.
  My evening of dread turned into the most beautiful evening.  I ended staying outside for quite sometime and am wishing I would've stayed longer.
  My moment of dread turned into awesomeness.  It was an amazing time....one for the memory books.  Thank you my Lord and Savior. I am not nor will I ever be alone.

1 comment:

  1. God is like that, isn't HE! Surprise Candis! What a very lovely story!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...