Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lessons from the Coop

  Today my daughters' chick died.  It was actually the second of our chicks that we've lost, and I know we'll  lose more.  I initially thought they were struggling with "vent pasting" (a constipation brought on by stress/immature gut), but I am not sure now.  We have another sick chick that doesn't have the "poo" problem.  I am praying we dont lose him, or any others.  I am disappointed.  These chicks are a special project; a "chocolate egg" breed that lays dark brown eggs.  We have high hopes for them. :) 
  I know they are just chicks, but they are very loved by my kiddos...and I guess by me as well.   They have collectively become our babies, and Mattie calls herself the "chicken mama"...we are a little bit hillbilly. :)
  Its funny I feel tenderness for a four inch ball of fuzz, but I do...and I am rooting for them.  I know death is a part of life.  We have lost animals in the past, and have explained death to the kids.  Little ones so unashamedly convey feelings of sadness.  It can be hard watching them grieve.  Some life lessons are harder learned than others.
    Hap's Awana lesson last week addressed heaven (what the Bible says about it).  After today, the timing seems pretty appropriate.   In preparing for Awana last week, I explained the need for salvation. That we are sinners.  We are all sinners.  God is perfect and there is no sin in Him. Because we're sinners, God can't be with us, God and sin cannot mix.  Because the removal of sin requires a sacrifice, God led His only son, Jesus to the cross as THAT sacrifice.  He allowed HIS little boy to die, in our place.  God loves us that much.   The Bible states that if we want to be with God, to go to heaven, we have to accept THAT sacrifice, ask for forgiveness of our sins and begin a relationship with Him.  God raised Jesus from the dead three days after the cross, and He is alive and waiting for us. I explained to the kids that there is a hell also.  That hell is not a joke, and if people do not accept Jesus as that sacrifice, they will go there.  It's not funny, but very serious.
  After that discussion we talked a little more about heaven.  There will be no more tears.  No more pain.  Heaven will be perfect.   I know my kids, in their finite little minds, imagine an endless Carl's Jr. playground (one with Jesus mind you).   I doubt Carl's Jr. restraunts will be in heaven, but those feelings of excitement will be.
   I found myself contemplating heaven also.  What will it really be like?  I know my Savior will be there, and I honestly can't wait to see Him.   The little arms of a miscarried child also await me.  Heaven will be more than I can imagine.  My finite mind feels love.  It smells fresh brewed coffee, wood smoke on a cold day and fresh bread baking in the oven.  My heart feels the euphoria of a "first crush" and of holding my babies in my arms for the first time.  I know God gives these small finite pleasures as glimpses into future feelings. I can only imagine.
  Well, I need to sign off.....All this from a chicken. :)  Blessings can come from small tragedies, and big ones too. We have to remember who our God is, and just how big He is.  He has a plan, and He's in control.  He's already read the last chapter of the book.  NOTHING surprises him. 

 For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
~Romans 3:23
 The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
~Romans 6:23 
 For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
  ~John 3:16
Jesus answered,  "I am the way, the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me."
  ~John 14:6

3 comments:

  1. Very well put! Mom & I are your biggest fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, Sweetheart, I have tears in my eyes as I finish reading your work. What a blessing you are to your parents! (And the rest of the world!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...