Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails...

1 Corinthians 13: 4-8

Monday, March 28, 2011

My Dinosaur

Dinosaurs.  He loves dinosaurs.  He plays with them, studies them and dreams about them.  For halloween a couple years ago he asked to be a dinosaur.  We found a cute little costume, not expensive but sturdy.  A brown dinosaur costume that would cover him head to toe.  It even had a hood to pull over his head, a hood that transformed him into the tough dinosaur he wanted to be. 
  It's been two years since we purchased that dinosaur costume and its still magical.  The ankles are highwaters and the sleeves are short but that doesn't stop him.  That costume transforms him from Hap Bayes to the "T-Rex" that conquers.  In fact he's sleeping in it tonight. 
  It's a wonder to me that he can sleep in that thing at all, but he manages.  He has actually managed twice a week for the past two years he's owned that suit.  Twice a week that little boy slips that costume on (hood, large (slightly limp) tail ) and slides between the sheets of his bed.  I am not sure how that tail manages him any comfort, but its still very important.  Dinosaurs have tails, and when he goes to bed, he's a dinosaur!
  I watch my little man sleep.  So peaceful, tranquil, such a gift from God. I see a large fluffy tail uncomfortably poking up from his armpit.  He's happy and I am happy.   I know they'll come a day when that costume becomes embarrassing.  He may someday throw it away, but I'll watch and plan on pulling that thing back out of the trash.  There's memories in that little dinosaur costume.  I will bag it up and hold it close to my heart.
  For now, I will sign off and join my family in dream land.  I am not sure if I'll dream of dinosaurs (they sound a little stressful to me), but I look forward to waking up.  There's a brown dinosaur that will come bounding into our room and onto our bed come morning.  I need to get rested for it.

3 comments:

  1. Reminds me of Mary treasuring the thoughts about Jesus. Those boys have special places in their mother's hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss those days and those memories so much. And the beauty is that you can relive them all over again in the grandkids.....just from a greater distance.

    Good words, sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...